With the amount of data being stored remaining to grow tremendously, tape drive offers some inherent benefits over disk-based innovations for lasting information storage space, consisting of:
- High capability: LTO tape cartridges can now store up to 6.25 TB on a solitary tape. With Overland Storage space’s NEO library, firms can currently keep over 6PB in much less than 14 sq. ft. of data center flooring area.
- Fast efficiency: Information could now be retrieved immediately or just a few minutes with the ability to relocate data at rates of over 1TB/hr. per disk drive.
- Lower expense per GB: At an ordinary expense of $.01/ GB, tape storage is the most inexpensive alternative for storing enormous amounts of data.
- Decreased power expenses: Research studies consistently show that tape drives utilize less power and also produce less warmth than drive, causing power costs that are 1/15th that of disk.
- Portability: Tape is still the only medium on which you can reliably save data as well as move it offsite for disaster recuperation functions
- Greater reliability: The error rate of tape modern technology transcends to that of disk; additionally, tape is immune to several of the challenges that disk goes through (e.g., viruses), supplying more reputable accessibility to all of the data business are saving long-term.
- Better longevity: The physics of tape technology allow firms to prolong its storage abilities much past exactly what the physics of disk modern technologies will certainly enable– making tape a recurring information storage space remedy for the long haul.
- Scalability: Not just do private tapes provides individuals the capability to scale their storage capacity as a result of high capacities as well as backwards read compatibility, yet additionally tape collections like Overland’s NEO Series enable users’ information storage remedies to scale with their needs and also not be outstripped by them. Tape enables you to turn into– not from– your data storage requirements.
- Compatibility: The combination of tape’s remarkable in reverse check out compatibility and that all significant ISV applications (such as BackupExec, NetBackup, ARCserve, and so on) provide widespread assistance of tape-based storage results in the best feasible roi.
- Adequate For Google, Good Enough For You— In 2011, Google made headlines when it had to use tape to bring back the e-mail boxes of 40,000 customers. With efficiency enhancing considerably and storage space capabilities expanding, firms will continue to depend on tape for offsite backup and disaster recovery.
When you combine tape’s superior storage capacities, low cost/GB, and reduced energy costs, tape-based storage solutions provide huge CapEx and Opex cost advantages. Even as technology advances, tape continues to be the ideal solution for long-term data storage and archiving.